Monday, February 2, 2009

Invasive plants

I was going through my previous post making little *Edit* signs, but I figured this is enough to warrant its own post.

Remember this?


My garden guru friend Trey says that this is a Bamboo Nandina. I did some research and it is also called "Heavenly Bamboo." Nandina is not a bamboo, but you know how we all like to name things that look like but have no relation to other things. It is native to Korea and was most likely brought in as an ornamental (good gracious if we could just think....it's kudzu all over again). The berries can be toxic to cats (strike one) and it is listed as an invasive plant in Texas (as far as I am concerned, that's like fifteen strikes). Birds and other animals eat the berries from the plants in the gardens and then fly off to their homes into the forest. Then they pass the seeds, which can hold off on germinating for ages and grow as much as 8 feet tall. Not only do they seed, but they set out runners underground, pushing other native plants out of the way. This is going to be a nightmare to get rid of, but I'd rather have the headache of getting rid of it than anything akin to the kudzu epidemic over here. Stupid kudzu.

The Variegated Privet is ALSO invasive and non-native. I read a forum thread with many people talking about how they constantly have to pull it out of their yard because it's in their neighbors' garden. A person in Atlanta said that on a nature hike he realized that nearly all the shrubs were now privet. Out it goes. I'm afraid to even mulch these things!

English Ivy is definitely nonnative (hence the "English" part). I have a friend whose father, a carpenter, says ivy really messes up the mortar in bricks. This ivy pushes other plants out, keeps the native plants from thriving, etc. Out it goes. I am considering replacing it with cross vine if we MUST have a vine. Anything that creeps and twists and climbs kind of makes me nervous though. I'll try to get it while the upper parts are brown.

On a happier note, I started work on the side garden today and found soil! It wasn't very hard to get the majority of the grass out (the trick is to do it while it's brittle and brown) and I'm leaving the calla lilies alone for now until we decide if we really truly need them. I need to sharpen the blade on the hoe though because it's not cutting too well. I'm thinking in type.

Go Native. Go Texan (unless you live in another state).

Kate

1 comment:

Katie Emler said...

I don't think pictures were allowed.... But don't quote me on that... At this point all the cathedrals and churches are running together. I saw a many stones in Notre Dame... who is to say that I didn't see THE stone... so let's go with yes of course I did! It was amazing!

We are headed to Austria tomorrow. This should be interesting... Meghan and I are traveling alone. I think everyone is a little nervous that we won't make it back haha.