Friday, May 6, 2011

Bye bye, peekaboo buddy.

Yesterday was my last day at work. After a year and a half working with these amazing children, I cleaned out my office, distributed my goodbye letter, and bid farewell to the teachers, and hugged as many of the children as I could goodbye.
My peekaboo buddy gave me such a hug. He hugged me, then he put his knees on mine and before I knew it, he was wrapped around me and refused to let go. I got to do my favorite thing, hugging him and then bending over so his hair ALMOST touched the floor, then bringing him back up and spinning. Toddlers are precious. His mom hugged me (she's not a touchy feely person) and thanked me for everything I'd done for him. I was deeply sincere when I looked her in the eyes and said "It was my pleasure."
My toddlers (well, not MINE, but yes, mine) made a tote bag for me with their hand prints on it. And I got to spend a lot of time with them that day, with them coming up and tapping me on the shoulder, saying "Hi, Kate!" So proud of themselves, some of them, that they could say my name.

Two of the teachers offered to give me references. I got so many hugs. So many words of advice and encouragement. "You'll find your way." "You'll be so successful in whatever you do!" So much love and encouragement.

Goodbyes are the hardest things for me. I am great at moving in, adjusting, becoming happy with my "now," but goodbyes are the hardest. I spent the whole day going in and out of tears. One of the moms saw that as I was leaving and she said "Well, one chapter ends and another begins." I'm not sure if that helped at all...because I started crying again.

The new beginning had better start soon.

No comments: