Monday, April 7, 2008

My First Show, First Sale, and Second Sale in One Day!

Okay, so Allerleirauh didn't turn out as awesome as I planned, but I'm still pretty proud of it. I may be working on it a little more...but here are pictures from the show:





Then Chelsea asked me to make a piece like my turquoise pendant, this time using moss agate.


Then I randomly made this piece from the original bezel for my rose window locket (it didn't work out, I prised it off, and re-used it), a misshapen pearl, and some gold-colored wire. I called it "Selkie" after the Irish story of a seal who left her skin on the beach and turned into female form. A fisherman found it, kept it in a box, and took her for his wife. For years this woman lived with the fisherman, longing for the sea. She had two little girls, and though she loved them dearly, she still ached to return. One day, the fisherman was gone and had left the key carelessly in sight. The selkie took her skin out of the box, and she and her daughters walked to the sea. As she she was about to put the skin back on, she kissed her daughters, telling them to look to the sea whenever they were lonely. She entered the ocean again as a seal with her daugters watching. The fisherman, I believe, moved even closer to the sea, right on the beach, and he and his daughters would all go to the ocean to watch for the seals, knowing their mother could not be far. My friend Sarah bought it, for my second sale! That just makes me happy.
All this was done instead of (oops) doing my baptist history paper, which I will turn in late. This seems to be becoming a trend. I just can't concentrate!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

The Selkie story was great--you tell it well! The pieces look great. Thanks for sharing them!

Unknown said...

very interesting, never seen things like this here, happy weeekend :)