Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Eep...

I just read an article about people who took revenge on their siginificant others after being dumped. Some of these people were dating for five or ten years, had moved in together but not married, and were surprised when the relationship failed. There were phrases like "I got tired of his constant cheating" and "I can't believe I lived with him for five years without realizing what a psycho he was".
Now, I know these relationships aren't the norm, but I find it disheartening nonetheless.
For those of you who don't know, I have NEVER been in a romantic relationship before. I've never been asked out on a date before either. A little over a year ago one guy asked me for my phone number and nothing happened afterwards. I'm sure that my guy is out there somewhere, and when I'm at the right place in my life I'm confident that he will come along. In a way I'm grateful that I don't have a lot of baggage (well, in that area...ergh) to bring into a relationship.
What I have trouble understanding is how someone can live with another person for five or more years with no apparent progress or regress and not stop to think, "Hey, what am I doing here? Where is this going?"
What makes people stay in dead-end relationships? I know I've heard and read that people stay in abusive relationships because the partner facilitates a low self esteem in the abused, promises to change, etc. And the abused usually comes from previous abuse and already has a low self esteem. What about just "there" relationships? Is it just an insensitivity to time?
Reading all these stories and seeing how long these people stuck with really bad relationships makes me worry a bit about when I finally do start dating (or start getting asked out). Will I be able to be objective enough to realize if it's headed south and either needs work or needs to end?

I have some good friends who will honestly tell me what they think, but I'm going to have to remind myself to listen to them! I think if I am ever in a relationship where I find it difficult to ask someone what they think, that should be a red flag in and of itself.

On the other hand, at times I wonder if I put too much stock in what other people think. It must be a fine balance because the only people who know what goes on behind closed doors are the two people in the relationship, and it may be something completely different from what everyone else sees.

I'm sure, however, that I won't have to worry when I meet my folktale-loving, semi-free spirit, artistic, intelligent, sensitive, handy, dependable literature enthusiast, who appreciates my tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.

Random ending for this entry: I just stabbed my tongue on my braces. Orthodontist said in six weeks we will hopefully take impressions for a retainer, which means that they might come off in the next 7-9 weeks! 10 and a half years of braces and it may be over soon. I'm planning the party now: roasted corn on the cob, caramel apples, chewing gum, all sorts of nuts and seeds, popcorn galore, broccoli, sandwiches, and all sorts of sticky, crunchy, hard-to-chew foods. Then I will floss without it taking an hour, brush my teeth with a brand-new toothbrush that will not be ruined immediately after the first use, and go to sleep not worrying that I've missed a spot and will have a hole eaten into one of my hard-to-reach teeth. It will be a beautiful day. A day of glory. A day of deliciousness. Assuming this day happens. I think my orthodontist just wants me to be around forever. I wonder if he would take my braces off earlier if I promise to keep visiting every three weeks just to shoot the breeze.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. This is Trey. I want to come to the party.

skatej said...

Trey, you are creepy by being anonymous. Of course you can come to the party. You're invited to graduation as well. :) Have fun with Amelia!

Margaret said...

Hey Kate! Great post...I always wondered the same thing before I met my husband! I met him in my first year of grad school and I'd basically never dated anybody else.

In my opinion it's all about having standards. I really think the longer you wait, the higher your standards are, and contrary to what people are always saying, that is a GOOD thing.

People stay in dead-end relationships because they are desperate and don't believe there is anything out there that is better for them, which is really sad.

I sound like my mom right now, but she was right: if you do what you love and forget about dating, sooner or later you are going to meet someone as interesting as you are!

Cheers,

Margaret

Robin said...

Good post Miss Kate :) I think so many people stay in those relationships because they afraid of being alone. (I say this because I have known several people who later admitted exactly this) They would rather be in a crappy relationship than no relationship at all. Kinda crazy if you ask me!!

I have no doubt your perfect match will come along at just the right moment! You're very lucky to have not dealt with all the heartache that comes along with dating. I'm sure you disagree to some point ;) as would any girl (heck, I would've disagreed back in my single days!!) But really, you've got a very good head on your shoulders and I have no doubt you'll be wise in your relationship decisions. Stay strong and don't ever settle!!

Random: For some reason, every single time I typed the word "relationship" in this comment, I spelled it wrong and had to go back. Ugh. I hate laptop keyboards!

Take care!
Robin