Wednesday, August 6, 2008

This is bordering on insane...

Okay, to my friends reading this, know now that I am incredibly happy for you and know it is the right time.
That being said,
I have 22 friends on facebook who are engaged. 22. And only six of them are both sides of the couple (so I guess to be fair and only count the girls, I have 19 friends on facebook who are engaged). I have around five weddings to attend next summer, one in November, and I think one in September.
I know we're getting to that age where everyone is getting engaged, but I never thought everyone WOULD get engaged!
It is so strange to me that people my age are ready to take that step in their lives. I'm nowhere near ready for that! I have so many things to do! I'm turning 22 in a little over a month, and I cannot imagine having my life set before me so definitely. I mean, I don't even know where I'll be in the next few months, where I'll go to grad school in the following years, where I'll end up after grad school...
This past school year I was very upset because I seemed to be surrounded by relationships, and I hadn't been asked on a single date. Now, I cannot imagine being in a relationship then. I'm not saying that if someone asked me out I would say no, because unless he's just a definite "never in your life" type, I'll probably say yes. But I can really appreciate the fact that my life is a lot less complicated since I don't have yet another tie holding me to a certain place or track.
I mean, imagine that I had been in a relationship, and that we were planning on getting married, I don't know, in late spring of 2009 or so. How could I ask someone to pick up and move with me to whatever state had a school for art therapy and accepted me? And how could someone expect me to give up my dream simply because he couldn't leave his job/family/hometown?
Again the thought struck me that many of my friends have had a relationship for only about a year. Thinking about those timelines, I could meet the man I will marry tomorrow, then be engaged by February, and have my wedding in August (though I wouldn't because I think a couple of my friends are getting married then). I very much doub t that will happen! Thing like this ARE unpredictable. It's just strange thinking about how things change, how people change, how lives change so quickly.
At the beginning of my freshman year in college, a girl in her junior year sat down with me at the cafeteria. We were joking about how "no men seemed to be on the horizon". I ended up going to her church. That February, a guy started showing up at the church with her every Sunday. That November, he landed a helicopter on the quad and asked her to marry him. They were married that June, and have been together just over a year now. Some of these things seem to go so quickly!
I feel much too young to be 22. I think I'll go back to 19 and a half.
I can't believe I graduate on Saturday.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Congrats on graduation :)

Just wait until all those married friends start having KIDS! Now that's weird... I think just about all our friends either have kids, are pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant right now. It's a strange stage in life. It's scary to think I'm 27... I feel like I should only be 22! :)

Margaret said...

22 is a lot! When I was in college, I came home every summer and went to a friend's wedding pretty much every weekend during the summer. That was BEFORE graduation! (I had at least a dozen weddings to go to each summer--I was working just to buy wedding presents).

The good news is, things slow down after a while! And people don't make as much of a fuss over their second weddings (lol--that's mean, but true!).

Cheers,

Margaret

skatej said...

I don't know, I have my money on these guys. Well, the ones I know. I think they're in it for the long haul.