Wednesday, November 25, 2009

.

I hate feeling weird and not knowing the reason behind it.
I also hate that my mom, the woman I have come to all my life for help with any problem but especially medical concerns, is of no use after 9 pm because she takes her meds then.
I also really hate lupus and what it does to her. It takes her away from us in more ways than I would have imagined when she was diagnosed four years ago.
Lupus is a faceless disease and especially in the midst of all the Susan G Comen foundation it gets no press and therefore fewer research dollars. According to The Lupus Foundation of America, approximately 1.5 million Americans have some form of Lupus.
As with most autoimmune diseases, the cause of Lupus is not known. It is believed that there is a genetic predisposition that only exhibits as the illness when exposed to certain triggers. Obviously more research is needed in this area. If you're looking to support a cause with your Christmas money, go to The Lupus Foundation of America's website.
Ironically enough, there's a walk for lupus, but it's during the day, which means that those suffering from the illness who are light sensitive (my mom can't spend too much time in ANY light) cannot participate.

No comments: