Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dye another day... (see what I did there?)

So, last week was spring break for me, in fact it was my last one. It was glorious. I went home, had thai food with my friend Carrita, went to the zoo with my brother and dad, and also met up with my friend Catia on Thursday for what we called our "Dyeing Day" so we could experiment with various dyes! Here's what came out of the leftover tie dye I had in the garage: I'm really really proud of the dress! I love it soo much and I think it'll work out really well for a wedding coming up. The white one I couldn't bear to dye. I'm going to change the buttons and perhaps wear it for MY GRADUATION in May! The orange shirt is a special order for my brother. I think it was the most successful tie dye of the night! Then I decided to dye this beautiful alpaca lace yarn using natural dye methods. First I mordanted it in an alum/cream of tartar mixture, then I tried to dye it using wild onions and dandelions. That didn't work. So then I tried spinach and dandelions. With modest results. So I tried to use black tea to do a sun dye. With more modest results. Finally I decided to hang the natural aspect of the dye day and used food coloring: a proven method.
I mixed up some greens and blues and made some beautiful color. Then put it in the microwave in 30 second bursts until the water was clear. This is how it ended up. I decided to call it "Mermaid Hair." I loved it in the skein but it's not very pretty in the ball or knit up. I think all knit objects will get some more dye experience with some more blues and a little bit more green.
Center pull skein!

I'm not at all pleased with the lime-jello-ness of this guy. I think I've found the perfect project for it, but I'll have to wait because the pattern is $15. It will have to wait at least until pay day.

Anyone been doing craftiness lately?

No comments: