Monday, March 17, 2008

On Knitting with any wire of a guage less than 28






Don't do it.




But seriously, folks..


I've been knitting and crocheting "gold" and "silver" (note the quotation marks) wire for BIG JEWELRY MAKING PROJECT #2. I think I have some promising pieces. The "gold" wire is at 26 gauge and my fingers are totally torn up. Plus, that area on my back between my shoulders hasn't been this sore since I crocheted that huge jute bag. Or maybe since I was paired with someone possessing four times my muscle mass in canoeing class...and he didn't slow down for me. Anyway, no more 26 guage, though it produces a very nice effect. The silver wire is at 32 gauge, and I'm hoping to find a copper-colored one somewhere in-between. I hope no hardcore knitters read this, otherwise I'll be hunted down and burned for a heretic for using my very hard to find size 2, 32 inch addi circular needles on these. They're none the worse for wear, though.
This is my favorite. These two pieces will fit together.... Like this
This one I pretty much gave up on, I made it too wide. If I find wire this color in a finer gauge, I may try it again.
This was a square crocheted and then warped and twisted. There's another crocheted piece but I didn't see the need to put it on here.
After I get the copper wire, finish it, and then get back from Spring Break (thank GOD it's here...), I will finish this rather quickly I think. I just need to find a particularly walnuty looking walnut.
If this all confuses you, read the story Allerleirauh. An online version can be found on Sur La Lune http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/donkeyskin/stories/allerlang.html
Maybe I'll even get to make my ring next week!
Kate

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i think this is an awesome blog, was reading the previous entry and really like your creativity, stay cool and i'll hop over in the future :)

Margaret said...

Neat! It looks like chain mail at this point, but I think that's pretty cool. Your poor fingers, though! Sorry that I didn't know about the illustrations in the fairy tale you asked me about! I hope you're having a great week.
~Margaret