Thursday, May 21, 2009

Unforeseen Hiccup

So everything is set for grad school. I have my financial aid in, I registered for classes, I know what church I'd like to start with, I even know a few people that will be down there. I'm all ready, right?
Oh yeah...where will I LIVE?
Turns out that the answer to this question is a lot harder than I expected it to be. I'm having trouble finding somewhere that doesn't look like a front for a meth lab. Or maybe a place where I won't have to share a bathroom with five guys. Oh, and a place that doesn't advertise the fact that they're all about smoking marijuana would be nice.
If I could just be down there for awhile and figure it all out, that would be great, but I'm stuck running back and forth (it's four hours one way) because other than days I specifically take off, I work seven days a week.
And on top of that, I think I'm competing with thousands of people for a place to stay.
I'm so tired from looking at ads and reviews. I wish I had something more reputable than Craigslist.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Good luck! I always used to end up scrambling to find a place to live before the start of term. I'm sure you'll find something good in the end! It can be frustrating though. Be sure to use any connections you have. My husband and I are currently trying to find an apartment in Edmonton for a girl that is friends with his brother back in Colombia. Never be afraid to ask people you're even loosely connected to for ideas. You never know who will be able to help you!

skatej said...

I've definitely been asking around. No leads yet, though I do have several friends of friends or friends of parents in or around the area.
Thanks Margaret, I'll keep my chin up.
PS How's baby William Morris doing? I've decided to call the baby that (at least to myself) until you two think of a name. Or find out that the baby is a girl or something.