Friday, October 10, 2008

Artful dancing



I love Emily Shock. She is an amazing choreographer and her dances inspire something within me. The above dance is called "the balcony" and from what she said, she choreographed this about relationships, any relationship. Any relationship, friendship, parent-child, sibling, is fraught with comings and goings, with nearness and distance. Absolutely amazing.



This was inspired by a conversation she had with a friend who felt she was in love, but didn't know with whom. Emily thought that through and choreographed this.



I finally found one that showed how she uses a percussive element. So often in dance we focus on landing lightly and not making a sound (except in tap and clogging) but there is something so beautiful about the way you can use your own body to add to the mood of a number.

There isn't a lot to say about these...I think the videos speak for themselves. I really want to take a class from her!

No comments: