Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sick Food

I picked up a virus this weekend, which stinks on top of just getting over the last part (or so I hope) of the surgery recovery process. Having been basically under the weather for the whole month of September (meat, any kind of meat, has given me a stomach ache worthy of making an ultra carnivore decide to turn vegan), I've rediscovered my favorite sick foods.
I used to always have chicken broth or chicken noodle soup, but for some reason it has not seemed at all appetizing for months. Of course my mother used to make cinnamon toast for me, but toast didn't seem like a good choice when my upper palate was so sore.
So, I thought back to last Fall/Spring working in the dorm. Our boss would make us tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches-- made with shredded mexican blend cheese from Kraft I believe. It was all I requested this whole time. I have eaten tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches almost exclusively (without a doubt not the best thing to put into your body, but not the worst and better to eat a little unhealthily than not at all). When we ran out of mexican cheese, I scoured the fridge for any other kind of cheese (other than that horrible processed "cheese food" stuff) and found slices of swiss cheese. Swiss cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup is absolutely amazing.
The only other thing that hasn't given me any trouble is honey nut cheerios! I am allergic to milk and soy and have been using rice milk for about a year or so, but even that has been bothering the old tummy for awhile. I'm hoping all these symptoms are because of some post nasal drip problems I've been having. If not I'm going to have to journal exactly what happens after everything I eat! But I digress...
So, tell me what you always eat without fail when you're sick. Do you have one staple or is it something different depending on the illness?
*Edit* Since posting this I have read that red meat may be a contributor to IBS, which basically everyone in my family has. So, I have decided to forego the red meat for awhile, or at least scale down on it. I eat more chicken than any other meat but I might try to eat more fish than poultry or red meat and see if that treats me differently, provided of course I can stand fish that isn't deep-fried other than canned tuna...maybe I'll stick to beans for protein. For a list of a few (not all) possible IBS triggers, go to http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/trigger2.asp .

1 comment:

Robin said...

For me, it depends on the illness.. If I am nauseated, my favorite foods are 7-up, Pepto, and Saltines :) If it's just a nasty cold and stuff, I stick with comfort foods.. chicken noodle soup with grilled cheese, chicken pot pie, macaroni and cheese. Yummy! Hope you get to feeling better really soon!