Saturday, December 6, 2008

The current song going through my head 12/5

Originally I was going to post videos of myself singing the songs running through my head...but I thought about what last shred of privacy I had, and about how I don't really sing incredibly well right now (something about nasal problems I think). Anyway, I'd rather not reveal to all of cyberspace exactly why I realized I wasn't fit for broadway. ;)
I first saw Cabaret when I was sixteen. A very naive sixteen, though I thought myself to be more worldly than I was. Cabaret was famous, I was broadway crazy, and I loved Fosse and Joel Grey. I figured I could take it being a bit dark because hey, I LOVED Into the Woods!
I was so not ready for that movie! I don't know now if I'm ready to watch it again (though seriously, Mein Herr and Don't Tell Mama, in addition to my butchered rendering of Maybe This Time, are amazing songs).
Anyway, this song gets to me. I rediscovered it recently because I stayed up late watching "Connie and Carla," a movie about two dinner theatre hopefuls who witness a murder and then run off to LA and hide out pretending to be drag queens. Their audition piece is this song.



I'm pretty much addicted to this song right now. I've been singing it all week, in my room, in my car, I even hummed it to one of the kids who wouldn't sleep at work. I think it's because it's at the same time a self-dig and a profession of hope. I think it's very much an anthem of coming out of the dark, and it could really be used for all sorts of things, not just men. I'm fairly certain I'll be singing this on the way to my interview (if I get one!!!). It's like "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall, only a showtune.
Seriously, the dark musicals have some of the most amazing hopeful songs (perhaps because then it's more tragic when the people are broken).

On my choice of using the "Connie and Carla" version instead of straight from Cabaret: The Liza Minelli version is a concept musical, where it cuts in and out of her singing on stage and the real life situation it's about, so the song doesn't go through in its completion. Secondly, I think that the idea of harmonizing this song is beautiful! Thirdly: Nia Vardalos. Toni Collette. Dressed as drag queens and singing. Need I say more?

No comments: