Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It's hard being a fairy...

So on Sunday I went to the store and got just about anything purple in terms of makeup (I like purple, it's versatile, and it looks good on me, therefore, purple fairy I shall be). I tried several different possible makeup and hair combinations and wasn't truly happy with any of them. So, what did I do but post them on facebook, tagging a few of my makeup-expert and stage-expert friends, thinking surely they would give me good pointers. And hey, I'd be fine with constructive input so long as they said something along the lines of 'here's what I like, here's what I don't like, here's how it could be better' (not even that order, it could be any order).

I posted those last night, and some of those photos have as many as 23 comments.
Friends, readers, do you want to know something? I had a mom explaining to me that look one was wonderful, don't change a thing, but look two was tooooooo scary. Then I had a friend tell me that look two was wonderful, don't change a thing, but look one was WAY too scary. Back and forth...so I did another look, borrowing a little from a tutorial on youtube that I've now forgotten, and another person said they preferred this one, that it wasn't too scary. Then someone else who was tagged by a different friend as a joke said that they were all scary, but wasn't that the point?
Anyway, I have four looks now and here they are:

Look one: butterfly fairy Kate
(A mom said this was great, and then a friend said it was scary.)


Look Two: horns? spikes? wings? Yeah, a lot of people liked this one (including my room mates) but I have to say it's kind of frightening. Maybe if I was going to be a different kind of fairy...and not one that helps children in a hospital get ready to trick-or-treat, I'd modify it a bit.

Look three: downplayed fairy (for a fairy day job I suppose). A lot of people liked this one, and it's actually the one I modified from a youtube video, it's just not enough to me, I want to go all out! (Sidenote, wearing my dad's old youth service fund shirt that's probably about 30 now. My favorite shirt and I can't wear it anywhere because it's so see-through!)
Look Four: we have a winner! I like this because I still have color in my cheeks (and on my nose, I put soem blush on the very end so it was rosy), my eyes still are outlined in purple and kind of wing-ish, and my lips are purple (and they'll probably be purpler than this) but not oh-dear-God-she-must-have-drowned purple. And the eyebrows are defined enough to let me be really expressive and clown around with the kids. I've not decided if this fairy will speak or be mute. I have been a mute fairy before and I always ended up talking. We'll see what the kids need. I think I might try mute again, because it's fun.
Look how expressive I am!
The only fabric store in town was closed Sunday and closed when I got out of class today, so Tuesday I am storming it and making my costume. Lots of tulle will be involved. Maybe I'll get ambitious and sew in a top, or maybe I'll just modify a t-shirt (which seems more likely to be honest), I haven't decided yet.
Well, what do you think?

No comments: