Saturday, March 27, 2010

My life is about to get complicated...

Or maybe not. I should explain.
Last Wednesday I was talking to one of my professors about how I was to work for Sesame Workshop. Then she said "as you work toward your doctorate..."
My WHAT????
I don't know if I am smart enough to make it to my masters some days and here she is talking about getting my doctorate! In addition,she told me to look for a school that is associated with research in that area. Well that's fine, except the university paired with Sesame is a little place known as Harvard. I couldn't get into Wake Forest, even though my GPA and test scores are fairly above average, much less Harvard, and even then I wouldn't be able to pay for it.
Then I looked at the staff list for the Joan Gantz Cooney research center and the only person who doesn't have their doctorate is the administrative coordinator, who still has a degree in child development. Okay, I need that extra degree if I want to work for Sesame.
So, I started thinking about that idea, going to school for even longer. Writing a dissertation. All that work. I'm not sure if I could do it.
Then a dear friend told me wonderful things about my being able to conquer the world and I felt a little better.
So, I have decided to start working after graduate school as planned and if in a while that aching yearn to work for Sesame is still there, if I absolutely cannot picture anything else, I'll go for it. If not, I will be content with where I am.
However, I will probably need to change to the thesis track. That's frightening but probably doable.

So yes, lots of decisions.
Also, I got my practicum nailed down for the fall. I will be working with my local chapter of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children! I get to go around visiting child care centers and foster homes and educate them about safety! It's an amazing opportunity, and I'm so excited to get the chance to do hands-on outreach and education, my big love. And I'll be doing that at the same time I'm taking my Adult Education course. Perfect!

1 comment:

Miss Willow said...

Wow, lovely! That's very exciting. You will definitely need to keep us updated on all of that!!