Sunday, May 2, 2010

can't keep a good (wo)man down

So, today was going to be important: the first day back in two weeks absence from teaching Sunday School to the fourth and fifth graders. I got up early, left with plenty of time to spare, and arrived at 9:30. Only to slam my finger in my car door. For a few seconds I just stared at it dumbly, wondering how to get it out. Then I opened my car door. I got it right at the base of my nail and it started bruising up. And bleeding.I crumpled to the ground for a bit holding my finger. It HURT! I realized I needed to do something and that no one was going to see me out there. I went into my car and found the blue shop towels (paper towels but stronger) I got when my car was considering a mold farming career and applied pressure while walking into the church. There, the first person to notice I was hurt was Irwin, probably one of the most awesome old men I've ever met. He got the head pastor and she took me to her office and personally applied a band aid. Then Irwin took me to the kitchen and got me a bag of ice. One of my kids was in there and asked if he could see my finger, and I told him if I changed the bandage he could take a look at it. Then I headed to the Sunday School room. My co-teacher was there and when he saw the ice and heard what happened and I started crying again, he sent me home.
I got back to my car and it started hurting in earnest. I ran a redlight because for some reason I thought it was a stop sign and drove myself to...you guessed it...the emergency room. For the second time in two weeks. Only this was a better hospital. They drained my fingernail and gave me a tetanus shot, x-rayed my finger (it isn't broken) and sent me home.
And I have a paper due at 9 AM tomorrow. Dumb timing. I'm figuring out nine-fingered typing (which is made more interesting by the fact that my computer likes to click randomly, moving my line of type to another line). On Wednesday this horrible semester will be done and I will have four and a half weeks to recover from it. I'd go somewhere but my job has me working through the summer.
I'm shooting for 175 points out of 200 on this paper. Fingers crossed, everyone! My working goal for the next two weeks is to avoid going to the ER a third time. If I'm there again this time on the 17th it'll be really ridiculous and I'll no doubt begin entertaining theories that I'm under some sort of curse.

3 comments:

carriehammie said...

Your poor finger. :( That would make typing very tricky!! I still have never been to the emergency room. We should take a field trip someday. But not because we have to go for any reason.

skatej said...

stick with me long enough and you could end up taking me one day! I think I've broken Benjo's record. Never been inside an ER? I think we should arrange something. We could do a tour. It's important to be familiar. I still think I should have taken you that one last summer.

Miss Willow said...

Geesh - chicky, we need to get you de-cursed!! Buuuut...today is your last day!!! Hope you get to celebrate at some point :)