Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"And we are oookaaaaaay."

So, I don't know if anyone else has been feeling a bit chilly lately, but here in central Texas it's the coldest it's been in about 20 years. And in my neck of the woods, it's just cold. No snow. And lots of wind.
Texas has used up SO much energy on heat that today it had to resort to a series of rolling blackouts so we didn't result in mass electricity loss. Or at least that's how I understand it.
SO, cut to this morning. I called in to work to make sure everything was okay, and one of the teachers answered the phone. The power was out, and had been out since 7:30 that morning. We had to delay drop-off until it went back on around 9. Yeah.
So everyone was off schedule and we were all trying to just get through the day.
Then, just before lunch, the power went out again.
We had 3 emergency lanterns. No elevator. And about 60-70 kids. And because of the way licensing operates, we were required to feed all of them lunch. So, the front desk worker and I grabbed a lantern and walked up and down the stairs several times, talking about how cool it was to eat in the dark, how we were going to be safe walking up and down the stairs by being careful and holding the rail (especially after the emergency light in the stairs went out).
And only two of the children cried.
And only one of the crying fits was about the dark.
When the lights first went out, my favorite class, the toddlers, were already in the cafeteria. I came in to check on them and they were all eating quietly. I sat down and said "Oh wow, everyone's having a good time eating in the dark!"
The teacher looked at me and said, in her talking-to-the-kids voice "Yep, and we are oooookaaaay."
And we were.
Isn't the power of suggestion amazing?

No comments: