Saturday, February 19, 2011

When it rains...

So, the very DAY I was to switch to giving Penny her steroids every other night and get some sleep, I realized I was super exhausted and had little functioning abilities. I emailed my professor and let her know I was missing class (and was very honest about why) and then I commenced to coughing. And feeling worse. And feeling worse. And wouldn't you know it? By that night, I had a fever. The next morning I went to the doctor and turns out I have an upper respiratory infection that's going around a la black death. She had already treated two people for the exact same thing that morning and had seen only that condition on Monday. Loverly.
So I commenced coughing, sneezing, and feeling congested, and having the stomach problems Z-packs normally induce, all while still waking up at least twice in the night to let Penny out (I really do love my dog). My fever reached 101.7 at its highest, I believe, which is about four degrees higher than my normal body temp. Delicious.
I have run through all my tissues, a roll of toilet paper used as tissues, and another roll that was going to be used as tissues but Penny decided to eat instead (I really do love my dog).
Thankfully, the doctor was right; she said I'd probably turn the corner on Saturday and I have, but I'm still super weak. Tomorrow is my final day of antibiotic and I can focus on writing the paper that's due Tuesday (five pages on a policy that affects adult education...and her format is REALLY confusing) that I've had the whole semester to write (except no I haven't because I really haven't slept since the beginning of February) so no need to ask for an extension...especially for a matter of five pages. That's silly.

I'm left with a lingering cough that feels like I'm trying to...I don't know, cleanse my entire soul, not just my lungs, clean out every impurity down to my toes, and my chest HURTS from the effort.
Buuut then yesterday room mate #1 mentioned she was feeling poorly. She thought maybe I had gotten her sick. I told her I hoped not but if I did then she should brace herself. Well, she went to the doctor today and she has the flu and pneumonia. Wow. Room mate #3 has been gone all week it seems but last I heard she was feeling poorly as well. Room mate #2 seems to be the only healthy one of us, though she did go to class drunk on Friday so perhaps that's a relative term.
I almost think we need to quarantine the house!

1 comment:

Miss Willow said...

Have mercy! Goodness gracious, love...that is a lot of ick going around, to be sure. I'm super glad you are feeling a bit better today, though. Good luck with le paper. Loooove you!