Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm worried...

Okay, so I made a new banner (someone needs to show me how to make photo layers on photoshop), not any of the three I previously had.

I would like to express my concerns over the new Prince Caspian movie.
I love Disney. Its classics are groundbreaking and part of history. Lately I think they've fallen in a rut (hey, this was a hit fifty years ago, let's make a sequel with careless animation, colors and backgrounds with no depth, a horrible script, and people that don't sound like the original voiceovers. It costs less money than a real film, and we'll make a lot on those idiot children who don't know quality when it hits them between the eyes! but I'm not bitter...) but I was so excited to hear years ago that they were teaming up with Walden Media to film the Chronicles of Narnia.
Now, Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe was good. Very few licences taken (except for a face off with wolves and getting caught on ice floes and the trees telling everyone about Aslan's demise, and the part where Lucy tells Aslan to wait when she's administering to Edmund is left out, they probably thought it was unimportant but I thought the opposite).

There are a few parts that I've seen in previews that REALLY worry me. Really just like three or so.
1) Reepicheep apparently doesn't like Caspian very much. (Reepicheep is in essence valor and loyalty. Any disapproval in Caspian wouldn't be fitting)
2) The Pevensies storming the castle. As far as I can remember (I'm re-reading the book right now) this does not happen, and it's kind of a major event. I was pretty sure that the Telmarines FOUND the Narnians at Aslan's How and the battle took place there.
3) (this is the worst) The love affair between Susan and Caspian. The previews are rife with telling looks, and one short image of someone with Susan's hair rushing in to kiss Caspian rather passionately. I'm sorry if this is a spoiler, but Susan does not ever return to Narnia, even in The Last Battle (she's the only one of the Pevensies who stops believing in Narnia, becomes rather silly and self-absorbed). CS Lewis did not put these two in a romantic entanglement, especially since from what I recall, Caspian is rather taken with a lady star in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".

I'm so worried about this. I know that it's kind of silly, but I've been reading and re-reading these books since I was ten years old, and they're kind of sacred to me. You don't mess with C. S. Lewis. Especially big plot twists like that!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

lol your blog is awesome! Your as random as me. yay! At least we arnt alone.

Anonymous said...

yeah, trey said he hated the susan/caspian thing... but thought the movie was pretty good overall. i haven't seen it yet.
i miss you. come back to belton!