Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Christmas!

I realize that technically Christmas has been over for about two hours, but I hope you all had a merry Christmas (or a happy one, whatever). My family and I had a very relaxing (for the most part), laid back day at home with just us, followed by a viewing of Sherlock Holmes, which I liked very much.
My best gift hands down was my power drill and circular saw with a bunch of drill bits. I know I sound like such a guy every Christmas, last year it was tinsnips. However, I have noticed quite a few times this year when a drill would have been nice (like when I had to wait two weeks for my uncle to hang up my wall desk because I didn't have one) and now if I have the odd desire to build something, I can! I've moved to a house with a garage from my apartment, so I could really and truly build something. Hello, creative outlet! I told my mom how I felt rather masculine and she said "No! You are a liberated woman! Independent!" To which I sang "W-O-M-A-N!"
I can be totally feminine and totally competent at a non-traditional female role (such as working with power tools). Why is it I am just now realizing this considering I was raised in an egalitarian home?

2 comments:

Christian H said...

For what do you use tinsnips? The power drill makes lots of sense--those things rock--but tinsnips are somewhat trade-specific? I don't often find myself thinking, "I could use some snips right now," and I usually have some to hand.

skatej said...

I do some metal working...or I did in college when I took my art metals course and fell in love with it. Tinsnips are good for cutting sheet metal and will be infinitely useful when I am one day able to put together a bit of a workshop. Also when I made the wall mounted laptop desk I used my tinsnips to cut the piano hinge down to size (it wasn't quite as pretty as I'd like but it got the job done). Jewelry making and art metals are very alluring to me right now especially since it yeilds a tactile piece as well as a visual piece. Search "Rose Window Locket" on my blog to see my favorite piece I made from the class.
We used a slicer in class but it isn't quite as easy to lay one's hands upon those as tinsnips!