Thursday, December 31, 2009

Software is expensive.

I had a problem with the computer. It would not access wireless.
My programmer friend said he'd take a look at it. Only fix we could find was re-installing vista. I hate vista, so why not buy Windows 7?
That's what I did.
Except I first tried to buy it online and THOUGHT I cancelled the order, but when I got my computer back and checked my email I found out that the order went through! Loverly, and their return policy is very complex. I don't yet know if they'll let me return it, so there's $150 down the drain.
He took everything I wanted off the computer, wiped it, and then put my desired items back on.
Well, except for Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point, Photoshop, and any other software I had to install beforehand. Crap, didn't think about that.
Thankfully, I know a website that allows students and educators to get a VERY good deal on software. Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, and Publisher for $99. With their warranty program and rush shipping (I have to proof read a paper by Jan 4), it came out to $139, the same cost as the Windows 7 software I DIDN'T but did order. I hope they accept a screen shot of my class schedule as proof of enrollment. Now to find our Photoshop disk.
At least I have my photos and documents. I just can't see the documents yet.

No comments: