Monday, September 8, 2008

And now to expound upon the glories of someone I've spent a lot of time with this week:

Target ClearRx
I hope all of you have the opportunity to receive your prescription drugs from Target pharmacies. They have put a lot of thought into how they deal with pills (and liquid medicine), as they have put a lot of thought in everything, in my opinion.
I have been taking prescription medication for one thing or another all my life. I used to take ritalin for my ADHD (and then switched to a less dangerous drug, and then stopped taking it altogether when that med ended up having negative side effects). So I know how confusing having multiple medications can be.
Target has completely re-thought prescription medications for the better. They use close to the same size bottle for every medication (I think I had one pill that was extra large and so the bottle followed suit) and each bottle has the flat face design. This not only helps with keeping all the information in one place, but it helps with storage too (no chasing after bottles rolling all over the floor). I also think, though I don't know if this is true, that this design uses less plastic than the traditional round bottle design. The top is flat and displays the name of the medication in bold print, so I can read at a glance in the dark what medication I need.
Then, the lid of the bottle has a rubber ring whose color is customized for every person in the family. This helps a lot since members of my family and I sometimes take the same medication.
And finally, my favorite feature: there is an indented slot on the side of the bottle that holds a little card labeled, "patient information." This has a description of the pill (color, shape, size, and labeling), an outline of possible side effects, what to do if a dose is missed, the prescription number, common uses for the medication, and the pharmacy's phone and address.
I know it sounds silly to sing praises of the thought put into a prescription bottle, but it has helped me so much this week, and I really appreciate the designers.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

What a great idea! It's amazing how simple little changes can make a huge difference in everyday objects.

Christian H said...

And it's really rather important that you don't screw up medication. I don't even want to know the number of people who got in mild to serious medical trouble because they took the wrong pill. Making it easier is not just convenient; it's probably quite literally a life-saver.