Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I made it back alive!

Hey everyone, I'm back from surgery.
The actual surgery was scheduled for 8:40, which made the 5:30 check-in time rather ridiculous, but we got to check into a private day surgery room and I watched some of Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood and then like two and a half episodes of Monk.
I barely remember entering the operating room and I don't even remember them having me count down backwards from 100 as they always do. I woke up in the recovery room in a ton of pain, partially because of the ventilator tube (I'd never had one of those and thought they took it out before i woke up the memory of it on the muscles hurt), but a good portion because of the surgery itself. They asked me to rate my pain on a 1-10 scale and I said an 8, and they gave me some morphine. Then it got worse and I just kept saying "ten, ten, ten!" and spelling out "mom" in finger spelling, which of course they didn't understand. I finally said "mom" and said it repeatedly but they told me each time that my mother was not allowed back there. I was in the recovery room for more than an hour, and then they brought me back to my room. Note to self: Morphine does nothing for my pain, so a morphine addiction is pointless. Huzzah!
They made me eat something and drink some water to make sure i could hold it down before giving me my pain meds (vicodin...now THAT works). Apparently the surgery itself took longer than expected because he had trouble reaching one of my sinus cavities. That's how small the openings were!
So now I'm at home, waiting for Dad to come back with my meds and a milkshake. I have a post-op appointment next week to see how it went. The doctor said it would be up to a month before all the swelling completely goes down.
I'm just so grateful that I don't have a job or live on my own right now. This way I get to take as much time as I need to rest, which I intend to do.

Hey if you know me and want to call me that's fine, I might sound a bit out of it and I might not talk for long. I would love to hear from you though!
Kate

4 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well! I hope you're back to your normal self very soon!

Margaret said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well--I hope you're feeling better soon!

I totally agree with you about the morphine! I've had it twice and both times it did zilch for the pain I was in--just made me feel like crap for days afterwards. They need to develop better pain medications!

Heather said...

Oh I am so glad that you are doing well. (as well as can be expected) Enjoy the time of having nothing to do but get better. Sleep as much as you can. That always helps the process. You remain in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

My name is Marcy Barnes and i would like to show you my personal experience with Vicodin.

I am 23 years old. Have been on Vicodin for 3 months now. Is very relaxing, is the perfect medice for pain and eit calms you and mellows you down the best

I have experienced some of these side effects -
constipation, dependecy, nausea and stomach pain at morning.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Marcy Barnes