Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Apparently it wasn't finished with me yet

Well, I went to my post-op appointment on Monday. The doctor used a scope and a vacuum to take out most of the packing tissue in my nose. Now I can breathe but I can only smell the scent of dust. I KNOW there are other things to smell. The doctor has me flushing out my sinuses with a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, sea salt, and water. I did the first one a few hours ago and I'm hoping I did it incorrectly...otherwise I'm in for ridiculous pain twice a day for two weeks. Loverly.


I could describe in gory detail how fascinating this packing tissue is and what it looks like (I'm supposed to sneeze the rest of it out during the rest of these two weeks) but I don't think anyone would read my blog after that. Using the phrase "sneeze it out" probably verges on too far for some of my readers. I apologize.


I would like to share with you, my dear readers, an image that was my normality for the better part of a week.
Yes, that's me, gauze tucked under my nose and held there with a rubber band and gauze tied around my head (at first it was taped to my cheeks but that caused too many problems), a gel-filled sinus ice pack, and a headband to keep my hair out of the way. I'm not wearing the gauze anymore but I thought it was too hilarious not to post.
Note about the background: please excuse the pastel early nineties wallpaper and the paintings on the wall. I chose the wallpaper (or rather my mom chose it) when I was probably six years old, and the painting was a joke two of my friends made for me when I turned sixteen. You can also see Sylvia, my new camera!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Haha, you poor thing! I have to say I love the photo. Nice gritty photo journalism! I hope you're feeling better soon!

skatej said...

Thanks Margaret, I'm feeling better but not sleeping well. I slept for about an hour and a half last night and then went back to sleep around 5:30 and woke up at 2PM! Now is NOT the time to go nocturnal!
Hey, what can I say, I'm the daughter of a man who used to follow firetrucks, take pictures at the fire, and sell them to the newspapers. I had to document that for posterity.