Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bye, Conan...

Staying up late tonight I happened to watch Conan O'Brien's last episode of The Tonight Show. I didn't really watch the show when he hosted simply because of...well, life getting in the way. I have to say, though, that I think he is one of the classiest guys on television. Can't really stand Leno, Letterman is a bitter old man, and Fallon, well, his funniest moments on TV ended with his constant breaks on SNL (which incidentally has fallen way down the tubes).

I don't want to say anything about the whole situation because I really don't know enough about it to warrant an argument (though really, with a golden boy like Conan you would think NBC would be spit-shining his shoes and bending over to be his ottoman in order to keep him), but I do want to comment on his closing remarks before a rousing number that included some very well-known people in the music and television industry. After thanking the audience for camping out in the rain to support him and thanking his fans for making a sad situation joyous and inspiring, he looked right into the camera and said this:

"I'm asking this particularly of young people who watch. Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record it is my least favorite quality, it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm... telling you, amazing things will happen."

Lesson learned. Looking forward to seeing your next steps, Mr. O'Brien!

1 comment:

Miss Willow said...

COOL!! I knew I always loved him :)