Sunday, January 31, 2010

How far I've come

I went to dinner and a movie with one of my friends from grad school tonight. It was so funny seeing her reactions when she found out that I have ADHD and that for several years I was treated for my anxiety and depression. She said that I seem so attentive and calm.
I don't know that many people will know what a huge thing that is for me. I guess a few of the people who read this who grew up with me will remember my constant breakdowns, my extreme social anxiety, and times when I was so depressed that my mother was secretly calling my room mate for an assessment.
Five years ago I stopped taking my anxiety/depression meds to see if I could handle myself. I didn't tell anyone, but after a couple months I asked various people if I had seemed upset or antsy, if they had noticed a difference in my behavior in the past months. No one had. Later I stopped taking my ADHD medicine to the same effect. I was finally med-free (other than allergy and asthma, and I'm okay with keeping those).
Even then I had a long way to go.
When I look at myself in elementary and middle school, high school, and even college, I realize how far I've come. Yes, I am very stressed a lot because I'm in grad school, but I'm not constantly worrying that if I leave Penny alone for an hour the house will burn down and she will be killed because I put her in the kennel (a very real fear of mine at home). Yes, I'm a little socially awkward but I'm gaining confidence and I've made friends all by myself!
I cannot believe that four years ago (really even two years ago) I was so afraid of doing things on my own that I was convinced I couldn't. That I would not be successful without someone's help or presence. I cannot believe that three years ago I was worrying people so much that they constantly urged me to go talk to the counselor on campus. I cannot believe that I was so convinced that no one would like me when I came to grad school that I prepared myself to have no friends. Ever. I cannot believe that two years ago I was so convinced that I would never find love that I [briefly] joined eHarmony. That fourteen years ago I was visiting a therapist every week.
Right now, I am so very content. So very, very content. And it's funny, this is the first time I've desired to be in a relationship for the express reason that I want to share all this happiness with someone else. Like it's so big and full that I can't keep it all to myself. Like I'm carrying a humongous bunch of balloons and need help holding it all.
Still, though, I am so fine with where I am right now. Ecstatic, actually.

3 comments:

Miss Willow said...

So proud of you, lovely. You're an inspiration :)

skatej said...

No. Many people have done far more. I am proud of myself, though!

Josie said...

This is the only way I could find to contact you, so please don't think this is weird! I saw your Zelda cake topper and would love to share your design at my wedding next year. Would you consider creating one for me? Sorry to bother you on your personal page-if you are interested you can email me at josephine.rond@gmail.com