Thursday, January 21, 2010

Taking up the family curse

No, not the Jones Family Curse (in joke to my high school friends), the other side.
Everyone in my mom's family, including some of the men, for I believe at least two generations back, has hypothyroidism. I am the oldest in this generation so I always waited for the axe to drop. I was tested regularly for thyroid problems starting around age 13. It always came out normal.
Well, I have reason to believe this has changed.
Recently I searched for causes of double vision (an unexplained problem I've had for years). Thyroid disease came up on the list. Curious, I checked hypothyroidism and noticed that I had all of the symptoms except for weight gain. And then yesterday I had a strange episode where I felt like I was drugged. I was slurring words and could not keep my head up. I felt like I was going to fall asleep sitting in front of my computer. After talking to my mom about it today, she remembered having a similar episode when I was very young. Her thyroid was out of whack. Hmmm...
So anyway, it seems I will be visiting an endocrinologist soon. I will keep you posted!

No comments: